Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Two pars!


Okay, I have never professed to be a good golfer but today, if you discount my horrid putting, I did quite well. I actually parred two holes and came in under 100 over 18 holes (on a par 3 course). The pars happen to occur on the same hole but still, I nailed them.

We were up early and hit The Ridges at nine o'clock with a group of the old gents ahead of us. There was a father and twin sons behind but they were all learning so it didn't affect us. Then a grandmother and her grandson started breathing down our necks (they skipped a hole) so we let them play through. They murdered the hole we let them play so it just goes to show you.

It took us 1.5 hours to play the first nine then we tackled the course again. Very few people were playing so we whipped through the course in an hour. I am slowly learning how far each club will take the ball should I hit it well. My pitching and sand wedge shots were right on so I was pretty happy with them. Now, I just have to get my putting down. I won't tell you the number of times I missed the hole by a whisper.

After golf, we decided to celebrate our first 18 holes as a couple by going to Rumrunner Pub in Sidney. It was a gorgeous day to sit on the sea wall and watch the boats coming and going from Sidney Harbour. At one point, an otter ran along the walkway which was a pretty neat sight.

There have been a few changes in Sidney since we were there last year, one being a new Ocean Discovery Centre. They had outside tidal pools so I decided to test out my Olympus camera. I had bought the camera because it could take photos underwater. I've been using it as a purse/golf bag camera so now was the time to test it. I hope to use it when we snorkel so this was the perfect test. I was thrilled with the results. Check out my Shutterfly site in the sidebar to the left to see the shots I took.