Saturday, July 4, 2009

Par for the Course

Well, I didn't get 'par for the course' but I did get par on one hole--my first par ever. I also took 9 strokes off my game so I guess practice does make perfect. It was a beautiful day for golf. We arrived at Mt. Douglas (a 9 hole course in the shadow of Mt. Doug) around 9:00am as we wanted to golf when it was cooler. The course opened at 7:00 so some were finishing off their game as we arrived.

We got paired up with a father and son team who played about the same level as we do. I nailed my first drive -- it went straight and far. Of course, the hole was downhill from the tee box so the ball rolled further than I hit it but I'll take what I can get.

The 6th hole has a swampy water hazard which I was determined to miss. I had dreamt about this hole and how to play it. I hit with my 3 wood and it went straight between the swamp and a row of aspens to land within 10 feet of the green. However, I had issues putting that hole so my great shot was wasted. Glen's ball ended up in the water.

The hole I parred was the final one, a short par 3 with a bunker behind it so if you use too much club, you're out of luck. My 8 iron was good to me today so I used that and plunked it on the green.

Glen hopes to golf twice a week and perhaps toward the end of July, we'll tackle an 18 hole course. I came in under 50 today so I was happy.