Sunday, July 5, 2009

Dinner with Friends

Glen and I had a wonderful dinner last night with our friends, Diane and Tony Taylor. We met at the Marina Restaurant in Oak Bay for dinner at 7:00. Mt Baker was a little hazy but the view of the boats in the harbour was crystal clear. It always brings back memories of days spent at the Armdale Yacht Club in Halifax. I guess my boating roots run deep and I often long to be part of the boating scene again. Maybe sea kayaking will satisfy this urge or a nice cruise somewhere.

We started our meal with appetizers and I had a mountain of Salt Spring Island mussels. These were delicious and have ousted P.E.I. mussels from my favourites list. Glen had liver pate while Tony and Diane had chowder. There were several specials offered and Tony, Glen and I went with the halibut while Diane ordered the dungess crab. I guess because the halibut dish was popular, the waitress returned saying only one of us could be served the dish. I changed my order to the crab and Glen decided to have ling cod. Later he said he would be hard pressed to tell the difference between halibut and ling cod. The crabs were huge with legs a good 6 inches long and very meaty. I devoured mine. It was excellent and cooked to perfection.

Glen had creme brulee for dessert with coffee while Diane and Tony shared vanilla ice cream with mango and blackberry sorbet.

An interesting couple arrived while we dined. She was dressed like Marilyn Monroe and he looked like a 1920's gangster. We wondered if the new Johnny Depp movie inspired their choice of clothing.

We plan to see Diane and Tony this Wednesday when we join Diane on a birding adventure then see the renos on their house. Can't wait.