Thursday, January 27, 2011

What I Learned


For those who read this blog regularly, you know we've done a lot of traveling over the past year. It is good to get out and see the world and each time, I learn something other than the history and culture of a different part of this global community. Here are some basics I learned from the trip to Sint Maarten:

1. Always have a packing list. Every time we travel, I add to my list as we may be golfing on one trip and snorkeling the next. I have forgotten socks and underwear so it's important to list even mundane items.

2. Always carry a universal plug. In Sint Maarten, the Dutch side was 120 volts like Canada, but the French side was 220.

3. Remember to bring all the plugs for devices like cell phones and laptops. Some hotels don't offer wireless so include an internet cable with your gear. Don't forget camera battery chargers and make a habit of charging these every night whether they need it or not (you will thank me for this).

4. All places in the Sint Maarten took US dollars however, on the French side, euros were the currency of choice. Cash registers made the conversion so it wasn't a hassle carrying only US cash

5. Most restaurants included a tip of 15%. We didn't realize this so received excellent service in our resort as servers vied to wait our table. One girl told us we were her favourite couple! Being friendly and polite also went a long way to good service.

6. No matter how much 'product' one uses to straighten curly hair, it can't compete with the affects of high humidity. Leave straightening gels, etc at home when in the Islands!

7. Bring more than one book. Glen normally reads one book per year but when traveling, he doubles his consumption. I thought his book on the Battle of Little Big Horn would last him but not so. I ended up buying the paperback version (which I couldn't buy in Canada) of Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest in the Princess Juliana airport.

8. Or do as I did and buy a Kindle or other e-book reader. I had three books loaded on mine and read 2 and a half. It is much lighter than lugging around a hard cover book. I read mine in the bright sun and never felt myself straining. Turning the pages is easy and mine has a cover with a small light so reading in a darkened plane works, too. Each e-book costs about $10 but there are many free ones available and if the book is 'old', the price is lower. Only downside is one must power-down while landing and taking off but that's what airline magazines are for.