Friday, January 21, 2011

Three Alarms in the Night


We left Calgary on time at 1:30 pm on Monday, January 17th. It was a chilly drive to the airport as temps still hovered around -20 degrees C. In the parking garage, we took off our winter coats and donned our summer ones with me shivering until we were inside the terminal.

After printing out our boarding passes and luggage tag, we breezed through security. The WestJet section of the airport has a food court so we each found our favourite fast food joint (me, Subway, Glen, A&W)and ate while watching the planes come and go.

The flight was smooth sailing but our landing in Toronto was a bit rough. We were lucky to meet the hotel shuttle minutes after leaving the terminal (we've waited 2 hours in Toronto for a shuttle so you can see why we were happy).

I'd booked a room at the Hilton without realizing we'd stayed there before. Two years ago, when we flew to Argentina, we had missed our connection and stayed at the Hilton. This time the room was very strange. The beds were set up in the middle of the room. I guess if you weren't speaking to your spouse, it was a perfect solution but it was a bit disconcerting when we first walked in.

We had a lovely supper of Ontario lamb in the hotel restaurant, Bliss, then settled in for the night. I fretted about getting up the next day so tried setting the hotel alarm. Once I touched it, the time changed to midnight so I realized that wouldn't work so set up in my iPhone alarm app. In the back of my mind, I recalled there were issues with the app but it was late so I didn't think too long on it. Meanwhile, Glen tried to 'fix' the hotel alarm. I was now a little concerned so pulled out our old battery-operated alarm but wouldn't you know, its battery had died. Weird thing was, I had a spare.

We were instantly asleep only to be wakened at 1:30am to the strains of Gordon Lightfoot's 'Alberta Bound'. The iPhone alarm was definitely not working. I turned it off and went back to bed knowing I had back-up. At 4:30am, the hotel alarm went off. Glen was furious but I knew I'd turned it off so blamed him for restarting it. Finally, our tried and true, old-fashioned analogue alarm went off at 6:30am. Obviously it was a restless night!