Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shopping


Today Glen's meetings started at 8:00am and spouses were supposed to take a glass bottom boat out to the reef. However, the surf was high so the tour was cancelled. Instead, we were to go shopping. As most know this is not what I like to do so when I heard the changes I was ready to head back to our room. Sheilah pleaded with me to join the ladies shopping (okay, there were three men but they bailed as soon as we reached town). Her convincing argument was I would see a beautiful stain glass window of the Mayan calendar at an upscale mall. I caved and found another soul, Jennifer, who also didn't want to shop.

Yes, we did tour the market and saw some interesting crafts for sale but I had seen most before in Ixtapa and so had no desire to buy. Finally, Jennifer and I left the market and wandered over to a Mexican hotel chain, RIU, that was very ritzy and checked out their lobby.

Our next stop was the modern Kukulcan Plaza where the stain glass window was amazing. Most of the group were done with shopping so we all headed upstairs where Luis, our guide, said the mall had an art gallery. The first pieces were done by students and in a very modern style. A set of dance sculptures excited me as the artist captured the essence of dance.

We had lunch with two couples from the meeting then Glen slept on a pool chair while I read. Above us, a flock of female frigate birds hovered. We then walked along the beach to check out the dredging operation. We re-visited the Hilton's Seafood restaurant for supper and I had oysters while Glen had cerviche. Our main course was fish, I had snapper and Glen had grouper.

Tomorrow we see more ruins on the road to Chichen Itza then have a Mayan feast at the Mayaland Resort.