Friday, May 24, 2013

Run Forrest Run

As usual, Glen hadn't read the ASM meeting's schedule beforehand so didn't realize there were sessions Tuesday afternoon. Fortunately, they were not a 'must see' as I wanted to leave downtown Denver for Aurora and the grand kids.

So Tuesday morning, Glen went to view posters while I wrote a blog entry.  I then packed up our suitcases and left them with the front desk.  I wandered up 16th Street Mall and arrived at the convention centre to await Glen (under the bear, of course).  I met his grad student's husband and son who showed me where Glen wandered the lobby. We connected then headed to Bubba Gump's for lunch.

I'd never eaten at this restaurant inspired by the 1994 movie, Forrest Gump which began in 1996 in Monterey, California.  The Denver franchise was decorated with antiques from the 50s and 60s, some of which I remembered from my youth.  Our wall above our booth bore the dress Sally Fields (Forrest Gump's mother) wore in the movie.  She is a very tiny woman even though her stage presence is huge.

We ordered 1554 Enlightened Black Ale brewed by the New Belgium brewing company then tried to decide on which shrimp dish would suit us.  I ended up with fantastic shrimp tacos while Glen had Shrimp New Orleans.  Meanwhile, our server asked us questions from the movie.  I was surprised at how much I remembered.  We had just finished eating when we got a text from Geoff saying he was on his way to pick us up.  We returned to the hotel and gathered up our luggage.  Geoff and Miles arrived and we headed out to Aurora.

While Glen played with Miles, Geoff and I shopped for groceries and beer.  We had a great meal of sausages, sauerkraut, and delicious corn on the cob.