Thursday, July 5, 2012

Week One of Holidays

Last post I focussed on the car accident but we did do a fun thing in Revelstoke to make a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' as the saying goes.  After Glen rose from his nap, we went letterboxing.  Yes, there were two to be found planted by a couple from Washington and titled, Gateway to the Rockies.  One was on the bridge over the Columbia River.  We have never walked over this bridge but Glen feels he is finally in BC when he crosses this river.  Due to rain and snow-melt, the river waters were high.  The second one was planted near a small park.

The first box was metal and had rusted shut but I managed to pry it open whereas the second one was covered with sow bugs (both were planted last year and I was the second person to find them).   The latter was just off a bicycle path and I was about to stamp in when a 'muggle' came over for a chat.  I quickly covered the box with Glen's jacket as the guy told us all about working for the railway and never seeing the river this high.  Little did he know we were doing a treasure hunt.

Thursday morning we had a leisurely breakfast at the Best Western.  Our complimentary breakfast included eggs, hash browns and sausages so we left with a full stomach.  We then headed west hoping to make it to the ferry at our usual time.  We stopped in Merritt for lunch and were at the ferry by 5:00.  Glen felt if he got onto the ferry, all his cares would evapourate and if they had 'ferry ice cream' (soft), he could declare life as being good.  I even indulged in ice cream knowing we'd have a late supper at Christie's Pub.

The journey across the straits was rough and rainy so we sat inside and people-watched.  We arrived at the condo to find gifts left behind by our friends, Tim and Ed.  It was overwhelming considering they had given us gifts when we met up in San Francisco.  Ed had discovered our lego stash and created a castle and space scene to which he added a Harry Potter scene and a dragon.

We had a lovely meal at Christie's, starting with Thai chicken wings.  They had changed their menu so Glen indulged in Mac & Cheese while I had a Halibut burger.  We washed it down with Race Rocks amber beer.  Unfortunately, we were both rather tired and as we came to the condo, I twisted my ankle and fell.  All I could think of was my sister's accident last year when she destroyed her shoulder.  I was lucky.  I came away with a skinned elbow and dark bruises.

Friday, we did grocery shopping then relaxed all afternoon.  Saturday we bought some barbecue parts to refurbish our barbecue then on Sunday went to The Ridge to play their 18 hole putting green.  Afterwards we were to stop at our friends, Diane and Tony for coffee but Diane must have decided we'd stay for lunch as she served up a delicious meal.  It was then off to Oak Bay for me to get my solar gel nails trimmed and filled at Oasis Nail Salon.

Monday, we planted our own letterbox.  I had carved a series of dragon tattoo stamps and had planted three in Calgary but wanted to leave some in Victoria, too.  We walked down to our favourite graveyard, Ross Bay Cemetery, and Glen found the perfect hiding place.  We also discovered the grave of the famous Canadian artist, Emily Carr, then checked out the beach before having coffee at a tiny Starbucks in the Fairfield strip mall.

Tuesday, despite the soggy weather, we went golfing at The Ridge.  A few hardy souls also played the course but no one lingered so we were done in an hour.  I was thrilled getting a birdie and two pars.  It was my first birdie ever!!  After a coffee in their clubhouse, we did another round on the putting course.  Hole #14 is a killer--a perfect dome with steep sides.

Yesterday, Glen spent most of the day working.  He had a letter of intent to submit and a conference call to take.  We did manage to get to the hardware store to get some paint chips.  We had thought to paint the kitchen yellow but were waffling so I chose some new colour samples.  The walls may soon be chocolate, folks, but I'll keep you posted.

Today, we heard the best news.  Our car is repairable!!  This was a big weight off our minds.  We then headed out to Mt. Douglas to golf.  A couple we golfed with last year were teeing off so it was nice touching base with them.  We golfed with Dave and Brian--very good golfers and fun to play with.  I got par on the very last hole so I was happy.  The weather was finally warm and sunny.

After having coffee with Janny and Robbert, we headed to Chinatown for dim sum at Don Mee's.  We had to do some banking and when we stepped outside, someone called Glen's name.  I thought nothing of it until the man called my name.  I turned around and there was Shawn who works in Glen's department at the University of Calgary.  We didn't know he had planned a holiday in Victoria but I guess if you are downtown, you will see tourists.