Thursday, December 31, 2009

Trip Home

The trip home went smoothly despite the terrorist event that took place in Detroit on Christmas. We read that all carry-on would be subject to a hand search and that only one piece was allowed per person. Since we had 4 pieces this posed a problem. In the end, we filled our two big suitcases with all our carry-on items, clothes, and Christmas presents, taking only cameras and laptops with us as carry-on. We left 2 hours to clear security but were at the gate 30 minutes after saying goodbye to Melissa. I guess flying out of the States is easier than flying in.

I dozed while we waited to board as Miles had given me a cold and I was not really functioning. We boarded on time and with no problems. We were row 13, at the very back of the plane, but this suited me as the flight attendant gave me a whole can of ginger ale instead of a cup. Colds make me thirsty.

After landing in Calgary, we flew through customs and were home within a half hour. I could not make supper so we decided to go to Boston Pizza. However, everyone must have been sick of cooking and/or leftovers because there were line-ups at the two restaurants we tried. We ended up at Nottingham Pub, across the street from Meg's townhouse, where Glen enjoyed steak and kidney pie and I had shepherd's pie. We were in bed by 8:30.

We had a great holiday with Geoff's family and will miss the little ones and our early morning wake-up call. Elijah wished we could live next door and I must say that would be a perfect world.