Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Buenos Aires-day 2

My feet are starting to complain about all the walking I've been doing so I am taking this afternoon off. The banquet tonight promises to go to midnight so I want to nap after I post this. Glen's sessions don't finish until 7 so I'll have plenty of time to snooze without interruption.

This morning I headed back to the Office of the President so I could get a better photo of the famous balcony. The lighting yesterday was difficult but good this morning. I then walked up to the wide boulevard where the obelisk stands to get a better picture. I took my life into my hands crossing the roads for as you can see from the picture, no car obeys the rules. No one obeys the pedestrian crossing signs either so it is best to cross with a buddy. He who hesitates is lost.

I passed the Colon Opera House which is the largest in South America (I think). It looked like the Phantom would have been right at home there. I then headed down Santa Fe street, a name I remembered from our taxi drive. I knew it would take me to a statue I wanted to photograph. I also walked along Florida Street which has all the shops. It was a bit overwhelming so I'll return with Glen. So far I haven't been inspired to buy souvenirs although I almost bought a leather purse yesterday.

I met Glen for lunch but ended up talking to George as a woman wanted to talk to Glen about his research. By the time she finished, the sessions had begun so I went downstairs to the mall part of the conference complex. I guess if you are into high-end shopping like Hugo Boss, Versace, Dior etc, it was the place to be. I laughed when I saw that part of the food court had tables with white tableclothes. This was definitely too much for my pocketbook although I did find one store that had stuff that interested me.

Glen said the talks today were good and he was pretty excited about the science being done in the field. Apparently yesterday's stuff was 5 years old so people were a little peeved with the presentations.

So far I've taken over 200 pictures so you can see I've been busy. Tomorrow I must be out the door by 9:00 and will spend the day on a bus tour. Time will tell whether I have the energy to blog or not.